Share your Knowledge: Boost your Career
What is KTP?
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is a UK-wide programme funded by Innovate UK, enabling businesses to improve their competitiveness, productivity and performance through the better use of knowledge, technology and skills.
A KTP is a three-way relationship between an academic, associate and a business. The associate is recruited to a programme, and working with academic guidance they deliver the project within a business.
Why work on a KTP?
Work on rewarding collaborations with innovative businesses.
- Potential to contribute to the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- Publish high quality journal and research papers.
- Contribute to income generation for the Faculty.
- Create employment opportunities for highly skilled graduates.
- Raise your academic profile and enhance the reputation of the University.
- Opportunity to use real industry case studies in teaching materials.
- Develop strategic relationships with regional organisations.
What is my commitment to KTP?
Typically, academics should expect to commit half a day a week to a KTP project, mainly at the premises of the business partner. This is important to build and maintain an understanding of the project environment and relationships with the people involved.
“The KTP allowed us to consider how BIM can align to specialist sub-contractors and manufacturers. By providing us with this knowledge we have been able to secure further research projects. The KTP also developed our knowledge in terms of the use of laser scanning technology in new build and refurbishment projects and this has fed into the development of new postgraduate modules on these topics. The KTP was a great success and saw the company become a leader in the field and the University develop a range of industry based knowledge which now directly feeds into our teaching on BIM modules.”
Dr David Heesom, Reader in Building Information Modelling (BIM), academic support on Hargreaves Ductwork Ltd KTP.
Download more information
KTP Academic Flyer (PDF)