All applications are assessed on an individual basis and in some cases the University may require you to meet higher entry requirements than the minimums outlined below.
To apply for a research degree, you should normally hold one or more of the following:
- a first or upper second class honours degree, or
- a master’s degree, or
- evidence of prior practice or learning that is accepted by the Dean of Research, or
- relevant professional experience
For a Higher Doctorate, you should normally hold either:
- a first degree awarded by a UK University (or equivalent body), of at least seven years standing, or a qualification of equivalent standard; or
- a higher degree awarded by a UK University (or equivalent body), of at least four years standing, or a qualification of equivalent standard.
English language requirements
If your entry award was not delivered in English, you do not have a degree from an English-speaking University, or you are a non-native speaker of English, you will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English at least to the level of an IELTS score of 7.0 or its equivalent to be registered as a research degree student.
Pre-Research Degree Course
If you need some support to meet the criteria of applying for one of our research degrees, we offer a Pre-Research Degree Course which is a bridging course to an MPhil or PhD.